- Have been on every continent except Australia and Antarctica (hope I see both before I go).
- Have been to every Province and Territory including their capitals, except the Yukon, New Brunswick and PEI.
- Have been in 34 of the 50 US states and DC.
- In 40+ trips to Mexico, have been to 20 of the 31 Mexican states plus DF (Distrito Federal).
- Speak passable Spanish (pero no fluido), poor French, and only swear words in about 12 other languages.
- In my first career I was a jeweller, watchmaker and goldsmith though never had official qualifications other than being a certified diamond appraiser. I didn’t like it much after about 2 years at it full time.
- Lived in the Arctic for three years, and highly recommend the experience.
- Lived in Niagara Falls for my teen years, and I can’t think of a better place to do that.
- Lived in Winnipeg for 4 weeks and highly suggest you AVOID the experience. (-:
- I am 1/2 Scottish, 1/4 English, and 1/4 Greek. I have only been to one of those countries but will fix that soon.
- My grandpa came here from Greece, and when he arrived at Ellis Island, NY, the officials changed his name from Kiriakopoulos to Poulos. I’m ok with it. (Looks like my ancestors are doing ok… Check this out!
My opinion of our wonderful country’s best kept secrets:
Music – the universal language…
I collect, play and enjoy many kinds of music and think that we should all be open to listening to what others enjoy. There has to be something good in it if it has THAT many followers!
Things I have no tolerance for:
- Intolerance (-:
- Any organized religion that does not embrace the other organized religions (you know who you are!)
- Ignorance – with the Internet, what’s your excuse? Plus god gave you a brain. Use it to LEARN!
- Guns of pretty much any kind for pretty much any reason, other than to persuade intolerant, homophobic or xenophobic people to see the light!
- Judgemental folks. Am not religious but DO like this quote I found from the bible, ”Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgement you judge, you will be judged; and with the same measure you use, it will be measured back to you” (Matthew 7:1-2).
This is one of my favourite pics of all time. In 2003 we experienced a black out in North Eastern North America. Look at the cut out triangle including New York City and Toronto. It should give one pause to think how vulnerable we really are. This blackout led to us founding our own community radio station in the little town where I lived at the time.
Favourite Movies of all time…
- The Godfather both 1 and 2 (WHY did they make #3?)
- The Departed – (Does one see a pattern developing?)
- In Cold Blood
- Most everything made by:
Favourite Business Books…
Favourite Fiction Books…
- The Godfather – Mario Puzo (first “grown up” book i read at about age 11)
- 1984 – George Orwell (the only book that I have ever read that I can recite the final sentence of)
- To Kill a Mockingbird – Lee Harper
- On the Road – Jack Kerouac
- Anna Karenina – Tolstoy
- In Cold Blood – Truman Capote
- The Shining – Stephen King (the ONLY book that ever scared me)